What is the Difference Between Palliative and Hospice Care?
安寧療護類似緩和療護，但兩者之間有重要的差異。 因為超過 90%的安寧療護費用是 透過 聯邦醫療保險安寧療護福利支付，安寧療護病患必須符合聯邦醫療保險的資格規定，而緩和療護病患則無資格規定。
1. The definition of hospice care is compassionate comfort care (as opposed to curative care) for people facing a terminal illness with a prognosis of six months or less, based on their physician’s estimate if the disease runs its course as expected. The definition of palliative care is compassionate comfort care that provides relief from the symptoms and physical and mental stress of a serious or life-limiting illness. Palliative care can be pursued at diagnosis, during curative treatment and follow-up, and at the end of life.
2. The objective of both hospice and palliative care is pain and symptom relief.
美國臨床腫瘤學會（American Society of Clinical Oncology）明列應接受緩和療護而非治癒性治療的病患特色；這些特色也適用於患有其他疾病的病患。
3. Eligibility requires that two physicians certify that the patient has less than six months to live if the disease follows its usual course. 緩和療護可由醫師和病患自行決定，且無論是否為晚期，都可隨時在疾病任何階段開始。
5. Cost of care is paid 100 percent by Medicare, 州政府醫療保險 and private insurance; it is the only Medicare benefit that includes pharmaceuticals, medical equipment, 24/7 access to care, nursing, social services, chaplain visits, grief support following a death and other services deemed appropriate by the hospice agency. 然而，緩和療護（從診所就診到處方藥費用）的費用是由保險公司、病患或慈善機構支付。
6. 安寧療護是在住家 或如居家般的安寧療護之家、療養院、輔助型居住機構、退伍軍人機構、醫院和其他機構提供。緩和療護團隊通常是在醫院工作。
For a more information on palliative care vs. hospice care, click to download our quick reference guide.