Simple Safety Measures for Caregivers
Holidays are a busy time-relatives visiting, decorations going up inside and out, and the oven working overtime. 如果在假日裡您還要在家中照顧親人，便很容易忽視簡單的安全措施。
Here are nine ways for caregivers to keep their homes safe for visitors and loved ones of all ages this holiday season:
- Make sure all smoke detectors are in working order.
- Place a fire extinguisher near the stove and make sure it’s in good working order.
- Remove area rugs to prevent trips and falls.
- Keep stairs and hallways free of clutter, including toys, boxes, loose shoes, etc.
- Wipe up spilled grease, water or bits of food immediately to prevent slipping.
- Keep all those extra electric cords out from under rugs, doors and moveable furniture.
- Make sure extension cords are UA-approved, the proper size for the appliance or light, and show no signs of fraying. If they are frayed, replace them.
- Know the location of water, gas and electric shutoffs.
- Have a physician-approved or American Red Cross first-aid kit ready and replenished.
No one wants to spend time in the emergency department during the holidays. So, before it gets too hectic, take a closer look around the home. Should you eliminate anything that could pose a problem (e.g., wobbly furniture, seldom-used appliances, frayed area rugs)? Could you add things to enhance safety (sturdier handrails, non-slip bath mats, night lights or brighter lighting, etc.)?
For most people, home is the best place to be during the holidays. By making it safe, everyone will enjoy the season.