Honoring Her Memory
The other diners couldn't hear the sound of four clinking glasses in the busy restaurant, but to the four women at the table their toast marked a special moment. Every year they get together for a weekend to celebrate the life of their mother. They share stories about her, they wear clothes in her favorite color-turquoise- and they end the weekend at her favorite restaurant. It's their way of honoring her memory.
Once the funeral is over and a loved one’s things are cleared away, having a special way to honor them can help soothe the hurt of grief. It can be as simple as lighting a candle in church. It can involve spending an entire weekend remembering. Honoring a loved one after they're gone ensures that a connection so strong during life remains with you even after death.
Here are some ways to get through the grieving process.
Ideas to Get You Started
- Preserve a loved one’s handwriting by framing notes or recipes or by having something they’ve written engraved onto jewelry.
- Create a shadow box using personal items that once belonged to your loved one or mementoes from places you visited together.
- Wear their favorite perfume or cologne or spray it into the air to remind you of when they used to be near.
- Invite others who miss your loved one to watch your loved one’s favorite movie and share stories.
- Set a place for your loved one at holiday dinners or other special occasions, complete with their picture and their favorite food or flower.
- Finish a project they started. If it's a craft, such as knitting or woodworking, learn how as a way to share something they loved.
- Donate to their favorite charity or volunteer in their place.
- Visit their old friends and listen to their stories of your loved one; you might learn something about them you didn’t know before.
It doesn't take much to honor a deceased loved one. In fact, any time you stop and think of them-the way they laughed, the way they liked their coffee, the special smile they gave only you-you honor them. Perhaps the ideas above will suggest to you ways to honor someone you loved. If not, think about them for a while; an idea will come to you.